Tuesday, November 1, 2011

MR. PEARL

After 300 hours of work, I finally finished a new embroidery piece from my couture-collection-to-be. Even if it´s a very slow and time consuming process, it´s nevertheless a true joy to see how it evolves little by little. I just can´t help but love working with pearls, stones, small metal plackets, buttons,… When having a passion for something, then the time consuming process becomes part of the pleasure, because you know the result will (hopefully) become something unique, something special. Nowadays everything has to go fast and quick… but not in my world! Taking the time for creating something is an extremely rewarding activity, it´s like a journey with creativity and with yourself.

With my love for pearls and pearl embroideries, you could maybe call me Mr.Pearl, but then I´d use someone else´s name. The original Mr.Pearl is a very interesting persona; one of the last Corsetiers to the couturiers. He made some of the most exquisite creations, for couturiers like Jean-Paul Gaultier, Thierry Mugler, John Gaillano and Christian Lacroix.
On the question if it´s important to promote the longevity of traditional techniques of handcraft skills he answered; “I evolved my methods through experience rather than core craft training, and –in relation to longevity of traditional craft- it probably is like anything else - we humans are probably not supposed to become useless beings” (couturelab).

I totally agree with his point of view, even I´d also like to add that taking the time to sit down and create is one of the most positive and joyful experiences. We are so focused on time and doing as much as possible that we sometimes tend to forget what life should really be about; enjoy what you do! And for me that means creating pieces that are my dreams brought to live.

Below some pictures from the bolero embroidery which I made for the couture dress -worn by Swedish actress Josephine Bornebusch- for the Elle Style Awards 2010 in Sweden.


No comments:

Post a Comment